BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Initial backup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fergusstrachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial backup
    Posted: 11/April/2009 at 8:37am

Hi there,

Is there an option to do the initial backup via an external HDD or so?

Problem is, I want to backup about 40GB of data and that would take ages on 'tinternet.

Cheers,

Fergus.

John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 9:39am
Hi Fergus,

Let me try and understand what you're trying to do.

Is it that you want to avoid having to do the initial backup over the internet? e.g. you want to do backup to a HDD which you can give to your buddy(s) so they can load it.
Is that right?

Or were you trying to work out how to make BuddyBackup backup to an external hard drive?

John
fergusstrachan View Drop Down
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fergusstrachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 10:09am

Hi John,

Yes to the former - I'm trying to avoid backing up 35GB across the internet.

If I can do an initial full backup to an HDD and give it to my buddy, and thereafter do incrementals over the internet, that would be grand. :-)

Ferg.

John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 10:29am
UPDATE: This feature is actually now available! Read all about it at http://www.buddybackup.com/help/manual/import-export.aspx

Old post here for posterity:

---------------------

Hi Fergus,

I'm afraid this isn't possible at the moment. However, it's been a popular feature request and certainly one that we'll consider for the upcoming new version of BuddyBackup.

Regards,

John

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2010 at 4:29pm
Yep, we actually added this recently.

What you can do is dump all your backups (all encrypted of course) onto a USB/external drive, give that drive to your friends where they can import it into BuddyBackup.

It's called Import/Export and you can red all about it at http://www.buddybackup.com/help/manual/import-export.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic