BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWelcome to the BuddyBackup 2.0 Beta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to the BuddyBackup 2.0 Beta
    Posted: 23/June/2009 at 9:53am
Welcome!

This forum is for participants of the BuddyBackup 2.0 beta test.

We're rolling out a new version of BuddyBackup and we're looking for people to try out the new software and let us know what they think.

You can find all the details here.

Please feel free to add comments and questions to this forum.

All the best,

The BuddyBackup Team

Niels View Drop Down
Super Buddy
Super Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2009 at 2:13pm
I finally got the time to have a look at the new beta.

(BB = BuddyBackup)
BB version 1.9.2.2. used on Vista 32 bit.

My findings so far:
  • During the setup wizard, there is no option to select the folder you want to backup. Therefore, I selected the folders I wanted to backup during setup, and BB directly started to backup somewhere on my C partition. For a couple of reasons I don't like that (C partition is not large enough, a fresh installation of Windows will delete my back-ups). Therefore, it would be better to let me chose the backup directory during the installation wizard.
  • If I am browsing the backup status view, I can't see which files are deleted. It is great that BB keeps a backup of accidentally deleted files, however if I want to restore a whole directory that I deleted, I want the same files back as where present the second before I deleted the directory. During the restore process, you can select a date. However, you can't see the implications for which files you get. Therefore, it would be great to be able to adjust the time with e.g. a slider that shows the files that where present at that moment. (Just like in Google earth, you can use a slider to select a specific time (and even a time range) that Google use to present only specific content that was present at that time).
  • Not all windows have a Cancel button. E.g. if you select the option to remove old backups, and BB is deleting those backups, it is not possible to cancel this action (I want to remove everything BB backup on my C partition , but it took to long in my opinion). Killing BB in the taskmanager did the trick, but is not really a solution. An other example, if you press Go at the check connection windows, once it took more than 10 sec., and I could not cancel the action.
  • Temporarily Word files (and I think other Office applications as well) that Word creates when opening a Word document, do not have to be backup-ed. (the hidden files which start with "~$P -" and than the name of the document). I use Office 2007, I don't know if the format differs with other Office versions.
  • In the Backup status view, I would prefer a "Details" view, just like in the Windows Explorer.
  • If you right-click on a file in the backup status view, you can select the option "Open". However, this does not open the file, but a "Versions" window. E.g. "Show versions" would make more sense.
  • In that same right-click menu, I like a option to open the containing folder in the Windows Explorer. For example, to check which file you needed to restore.
  • Some files I want to share with my buddies. For example, my holiday pictures. Therefore, I would like an option to grand read-only permission to a buddy for my pictures folder. It would not be a problem if the buddy first has to "restore" the pictures to a folder on his hard drive.
What I liked:
  • The backup speed over a LAN network is much better than BB v1.
  • The backup status view with the red crosses to indicate the files that need backup is great.
  • The home view, is clean and only shows the most important info!
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2009 at 8:42am
Hi Niels,

Some great feedback here - thanks for that.

A few responses to some of your comments:

• The issue with temporary Microsoft Office documents being backed up: hopefully this issue should be fixed from version 1.9.3.

• RE the "backups location issue": this is a tough one. I think the majority of users won't want to have to decide where to store local backups. I'm thinking maybe an "Advanced" section of the setup wizard so power users can change things like this?

• The UI improvements you suggested are great. We'll definitely put some of these on our development roadmap

• File sharing is a big exciting feature and something we'd love to implement. I think it really depends on how popular this feature would be.
Again, thanks for the feedback.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic