BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCrash on Hibernater Windows &

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaByteNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crash on Hibernater Windows &
    Posted: 24/January/2010 at 10:24pm
I found that BuddyBackup becomes non-responsive after my PC returns from hibernating. Any ideas on solving this issue are welcome.
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 9:39am
Thanks for the report.

We do test BuddyBackup extensively for use with Hibernation, and it certainly shouldn't be behaving like this.

Could we have some more details about the issue?

Is it actually crashing (i.e. saying "BuddyBackup has encountered a problem and needs to close", or other error messages)?

When you say it is not responsive, can you explain a bit more? For example, can you open the BuddyBackup window (by Clicking Windows Start, All Programs, BuddyBackup, BuddyBackup)?

If you right click on the Taskbar icon (the little BuddyBackup icon at the bottom right corner of the screen), does the menu appear?

Sometimes some Windows drivers don't work after resuming from hibernate. For example I once had a laptop where the network card would just not work after resuming (a problem with the 3rd party network drivers). Having said that, I suppose you would see issues with other programs in that case.

Regards,

John
MegaByteNL View Drop Down
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaByteNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Is it actually crashing (i.e. saying "BuddyBackup has encountered a problem and needs to close", or other error messages)?

Yes, it just says it has encountered a problem, want to report the issue back to Microsoft and wants to restart BuddyBackup (if you leave the 2 boxes ticked)

When you say it is not responsive, can you explain a bit more? For example, can you open the BuddyBackup window (by Clicking Windows Start, All Programs, BuddyBackup, BuddyBackup)?

When the problem is reported and BuddyBackup restarts automatically it does start but stays not responsive. I need to "kill" the application via the taskmanager and restart BuddyBackup via the normal program-shortcut in the start menu (as mentioned above).

If you right click on the Taskbar icon (the little BuddyBackup icon at the bottom right corner of the screen), does the menu appear?

No, it doesn't after a crash and the automatic restart. When it is restarted via the start menu it does work.

Sometimes some Windows drivers don't work after resuming from hibernate. For example I once had a laptop where the network card would just not work after resuming (a problem with the 3rd party network drivers). Having said that, I suppose you would see issues with other programs in that case.

The only other program with simular issue was TeamViewer but the latest update solved the issue.

I must add that I'm using BuddyBackup at the moment only to backup to a NAS which I configured as "Buddy"
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2010 at 9:26am
OK,

I've tracked down the crash report.

Yeah this was a weird one. It basically is caused by networking problems shortly after resuming from hibernating.

This Windows behaviour is something I see all the time on my machine too: for a couple of seconds after resuming from hibernating no networking (i.e. internet) works. It takes a couple of seconds for Windows to reconnect to the local network etc.

Normally BB is totally tolerant to this kind of short lived network failure - it will just ignore it and try again when the network is back up.

Here is a summary of the problem:

BuddyBackup asks Windows for the local IP address of your machine. The routine we use to ask for this is supposed to be safe even if your network is down, e.g. even if you don't have an IP address it should just return empty. In fact, in your case this routine was just failing (which it's not supposed to do!). BuddyBackup treats this as a major failure and exits with the crash report.

I have heard about other cases of this happening, could just be some bug related to Windows and/or network drivers etc.

Can I ask, when you restart BuddyBackup after the crash, does it work normally from then? If so then that should verify my theory.

Anyway, the fix is really straight forward: we just need to ignore that kind of failure and try again later.

We'll roll this fix into the next patch release which should fix this problem.

Regards,

John
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaByteNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2010 at 10:22pm

Can I ask, when you restart BuddyBackup after the crash, does it work normally from then? If so then that should verify my theory.

Windows tries to restart BuddyBackup by itself but the program stays non-responsive after this "auto-restart". When I kill BuddyBackup again via the taskmanager and restart it from the menu it works as normal. When deselect the "auto-restart" option on the crash-announcement and restart from the menu it works as normal.

John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 4:25pm
Hi MegaByteNL,

Just wanted to let you know that we just shipped a patch which should hopefully fix this hibernation issue you described.

The patch will automatically install next time you restart BuddyBackup.

It would great to know if this fixes the problem.

Regards,

John
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaByteNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 6:51pm
Hi John,

Thanks, the update went automatically and I will keep you posted.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic