BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The handling of Windows folders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AASUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The handling of Windows folders
    Posted: 13/September/2010 at 8:19pm
I'd like to know if BB creates the backup in one big file in which it 'remembers' and displays the folder tree. DropBox for example, has a clearly Windows-managed folder tree.

My plan is to duplicate files and folders in a pair of Windows Home Servers, one in the office, one at home. I may add/delete folders/files on either. I do not want to have to worry about replication and I definitely do not want to drive back to the office from home because a folder/file has not been replicated to the home WHS.

Is this product suitable for that? And assuming I https (to map folders to share drive letters) connect to remote shared folders, is it able to handle the folder creation on either WHS? Many thanks.
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2010 at 10:48pm
Hi there,

No, BuddyBackup works quite differently to folder syncing software like DropBox.

In fact BuddyBackup doesn't sync your folders with your buddies at all. What it does is send encrypted versions of your files to your buddies, which the buddy cannot decrypt. This is a key feature which distinguishes BuddyBackup from folder syncing - the recipient does not have access to your files (nor indeed do we here at BuddyBackup HQ!).

This was a very intentional design decision. We wanted to cater for users who don't have more than one computer, but who want to backup safely to friends/colleagues.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

John Wood
BuddyBackup Development
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic