BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Understanding when backups are deleted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ultra Buddy
Ultra Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Computers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding when backups are deleted
    Posted: 27/April/2012 at 9:18pm
Hello,

I need to check that I understand BB correctly.

I have ‘Automatically remove backups older than 30 days’ set.

If I have a file, which had several backup versions, then deleted the file (to the Recycle Bin and emptied) what happens?

Will BB eventually delete all versions so I am not able to restore the file or does BB always leave 1 version, even though I have ‘Automatically remove backups older than 30 days’ set?

The reason I ask is that I appear to be able to restore files which I thought I deleted (to the Recycle Bin and emptied) several months ago.

Regards
Paul
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2012 at 10:52pm
To answer your specific example, you should check the setting in Advanced: "Automatically remove backups older than...".  I think this is off by default so BB will never remove backups.

You can either turn this on, or run manual cleanups when you feel like it.

Generally speaking, when you run the cleanup BB will remove backups of a file after 30 days from the moment it first sees the file doesn't exist any more (doesn't matter if it's been sent to recycle bin, fully deleted or even just moved out of BB's world view - just being absent is the key thing).

However, if the file has several versions it may not be able to delete earlier versions even if they're older than the 30 days, if there are newer versions. This is because the versions are "chained": each subsequent version is a delta/diff of the previous version.

For example, if there were two versions of the file, 31 days old and 29 days old, neither could be deleted because the latest one is still "alive" (and depends on the previous one).

Wait another day, however (so they're 32 days and 30 days old), then they can both be safely deleted.

Hope this helps.

John
Amber Computers View Drop Down
Ultra Buddy
Ultra Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Computers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2012 at 10:20am
Hello,

Thanks for the explanation.

I ran a manual cleanup to remove anything older than 1 day and the ‘Backup status’ and ‘Restore’ tree now match my current folder structure.

I think I confused the date when I actually deleted some files.

Now I need to check that I understand what happens when a file is not deleted and has many versions. After 30 days (when set in advanced) does BB start to drop of versions older than 30 days when the chain allows?

Regards
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic