BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Network usage on locked file

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Buddy
Super Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Network usage on locked file
    Posted: 01/June/2012 at 11:56pm
I used BuddyBackup a few years ago and am returning to it now. One issue my wife always had (which made me consider other options) was seeming lack of responsiveness on her machine when it was backing up. We are starting to see that again after only one day's use.

I looked into it some more just now and this is what I am seeing:
1. 99% of her files (10's of thousands of pictures, etc.) are backed up successfully to my machine
2. 1 file remains to be backed up (a small OpenOffice file), as reported by BuddyBackup
3. Even though the file is open/locked, BuddyBackup is constantly using 20-40% of her wireless network connection trying to backup this locked file.

If the file is locked (BB tells me so) then what is it sending over the network?

In another posting (here) it was stated that BB waits 10 seconds after a file is modified to back it up. Then why the constant network traffic on this one little file?

Can anyone help me understand this behavior, and how to turn it off?
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/June/2012 at 6:01pm
Hi there,

If there file is not backed up (probably because it's locked) BuddyBackup will NOT use network connection. It's very careful to only use network when necessary.

What it might be is the Buddy Connect feature. This helps other buddies connect to each other, which does use up your internet connection. Try going to Tools, Options, Buddies, Buddy Connect and change "Help people connect" to "No".

See if that helps.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic